Holiday parties are in full swing and temperatures are on the chillier side. Is your home prepared for the winter months? Insulation is one great way to maximize energy efficiency and save money.
Where should you start? You have a lot of different options! Let’s compare batt and blown-in insulation, two types of fiberglass, which is one of the most commonly installed materials.
The Difference Between Batt and Blown Insulation
Which one is best for your project? Professionals can help you determine that, but in general, here are a few things to keep in mind:
Batt insulation is:
- Generally installed in unfinished walls (including foundation walls).
- Well suited for stud and joist spacing that is free from obstructions like wiring, pipes, etc.
Also referred to as loose-fill, blown-in insulation is:
- Generally installed in enclosed existing walls (retrofit projects) or open new wall cavities (new construction projects) and unfinished attic floors.
- Good for adding to existing finished areas and around obstructions like wiring and pipes.
- Blown into place using special tools.
- Also referred to as “loose-fill” (loose-fill is a popular type of cellulose).
Learn more about batt vs. blown insulation—and get information on other types of insulation—on the Department of Energy’s website »
There is no “better” type of insulation—it all depends on where you need to insulate, how much insulation you need and more. A professional will be able to assess your space and determine the material that will work best.
Home Insulation Installation in Visalia, CA
Whether you install batt or blown-in insulation, it will help:
- Reduce your energy bills.
- Make your home more comfortable.
- Improve the performance of your HVAC equipment.
We install blown and batt insulation and can insulate your attic, walls, crawl space or basement.
Contact the experts at Broken Drum Insulation of Visalia if you’re ready to insulate your home and start improving its energy efficiency and comfort—call 559-372-2960 or contact us online!